TikTok is becoming increasingly popular as a search engine among GenZ and Millennial users.
As TikTok shifts towards a focus on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), it is important to ensure that you or your clients’ videos rank highly in search results. This can bring long-term benefits by attracting ongoing attention to your short-form videos.
This article will explore the following topics:
1. The factors that TikTok considers when ranking content for its search engine.
2. A three-step process for optimising your posts for SEO, including audience identification, keyword research, and implementation and optimisation. ”
TikTok looks at a variety of factors when ranking content for its search engine. Some of these factors include:
• The captions and descriptions that you include with your videos
• The audio that is present in your videos, including any music or sound effects that you use
• The hashtags that you use in your videos, as well as any hashtags that are included in the comments on your videos
• Any on-screen text that appears in your videos
It’s important to make sure that all of this information is relevant and accurate, as this can help to improve the visibility of your content on TikTok. Additionally, using popular and relevant hashtags can help to increase the reach of your videos and make them more discoverable to a wider audience.
Your interactions with other users
◦ The number of likes that your content receives
◦ The number of comments that are left on your content
◦ The number of users who add your content to their favourites
◦ The watch retention of your content, or how long users watch your videos before moving on to other content
In general, content that receives a high level of engagement from users is more likely to be ranked highly in TikTok’s search results. By encouraging users to like, comment, and engage with your content, you can help to improve its visibility on the platform.
Your device and account settings
TikTok may consider the device and account settings of users when ranking content in its search engine. Some of the factors that may be taken into account include:
◦ The native language of the user, as content that is in a user’s native language may be more relevant to them
◦ The location of the post, as users may be more interested in content that is relevant to their geographic location
The 3-Step Process to optimise your posts for SEO
Step 1: Identifying Your Audience
Before conducting keyword research, it’s important to identify the target audience for your content. This can help you to create content that is more relevant and appealing to your desired viewers.
To do this, you may want to consider creating an “ideal audience profile,” which outlines the characteristics of your desired viewers. This can include demographics such as age, gender, and location, as well as interests and hobbies.
Once you have identified your ideal audience, you can tailor your content to appeal to them. For example, you may want to create a mix of viral content that will attract a broad audience, as well as educational content that is more specific to your niche. This can help to ensure that you are creating content that is relevant and engaging to your desired viewers.
For example, if our client is an ecommerce brand selling beauty products, we are looking for:
Broad Target: People who watch makeup videos
Niche Target: People who are familiar with our specific type of product for example false eyelashes
Put yourself in the viewers shoes, and make notes of the following:
• What Videos are they engaging with
• What Hashtags are they using/viewing
• What Comments are they leaving (questions, criticism, etc.)
To keep track of all the information that you have gathered about your target audience, it can be helpful to create a document in a tool like Google Docs. This document can serve as a reference when you are coming up with content ideas, writing scripts, and conducting keyword research.
By keeping all of this information in one place, you can easily refer back to it as you work on creating content that resonates with your target audience.
Step 2: Keyword Research
Unlike with Google, there is not currently a reliable software which scrapes TikTok for keywords.
So for now, we will do it manually.
1) To begin your keyword research, the first step is to enter the subject or niche that you create content about into a keyword research tool. This will generate a list of keywords that are related to your topic.
You should make a note of these keywords, as they will be useful for your “broad target” audience. These keywords will help you to identify the types of content that are most relevant to your audience and the topics that they are interested in.
2) After you have identified the keywords related to your overall subject or niche, the next step is to conduct a more detailed keyword analysis. To do this, you can enter individual characters into a keyword research tool, starting with A and going through to Z. This will generate a list of keywords that begin with each letter of the alphabet.
You should make a note of these keywords, as they will be useful for your “niche target” audience. These keywords will be more specific and focused, and will help you to identify the types of content that are most relevant to a smaller, more specialised audience.
By using these niche-specific keywords in your content, you can help to make it more discoverable to your target audience. This can help to increase the visibility of your content and make it more appealing to your desired viewers.
Step 3: Implementation & Optimisation
Now that you have completed your keyword research, it’s time to put that research into practice by using the keywords in your content. Here are four ways to do this:
1. Use keywords in your on-screen text: When uploading a video, include a keyword in the title that appears on-screen. For example, you could use a niche target keyword like “false eyelash companies UK” in the title of your video.
2. Include keywords in the audio of your videos: TikTok’s algorithm also picks up on keywords that are spoken out loud in a video. Make sure to strategically include keywords in your video scripts to help your content rank higher in the search results.
3.Use keywords in your video descriptions and hashtags: You can also use keywords in the descriptions and hashtags of your videos to make them more discoverable on TikTok. Just be sure to use them sparingly and in a way that is natural and relevant to your content.
4.Include keywords in your captions: You can use keywords in the captions of your videos to help them rank higher in the search results. Just make sure to use them in a way that is native to the platform and doesn’t seem spammy.
Remember to avoid spamming your content with irrelevant keywords, as this can cause TikTok to flag your content as spam and reduce its visibility in the search results. Instead, focus on providing high-quality value in your content and strategically placing keywords every now and then.
In conclusion, this guide has outlined the key steps to optimising your content for TikTok’s search engine. By following these steps and conducting thorough keyword research, you can improve the visibility of your content on the platform and make it more discoverable to your desired audience.
Now it’s time to put these tips into practice and create some evergreen content! If you have any questions about your marketing efforts, don’t hesitate to reach out via email.